Pages

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Blog Post Week 1

        Good afternoon everyone. It’s exciting to be part of S-STEM this semester and hope to complete a great internship. Well today I began my project by taking an unknown sample, and making what is called a lawn streak (Top) and an isolated streak (Bottom). The lawn streak is done to make a culture of the unknown bacteria, by the individual cells multiplying to form millions of identical cells. The three quadrant streak is to isolate single colonies of the unknown for macroscopic examination. They were placed in the incubator with a temperature of 36.7 degrees Celsius where the growth will begin. The ideal temperature for bacterial growth is 25-37 degrees Celsius.

Lawn Streak and Isolated Streak of Unknown (before)

2 comments:

  1. I'm excited of being part of this program too, it is my first semester as an S-STEM intern. So you have to identify the type of bacteria that you were given, the unknown? Were you given a list of possible bacteria that you could choose from or do you have to figure that out also?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome David! Yes, I have to do a series of procedures that will help me identify my unknown. I was given a flow chart that I could follow that already have the bacteria at the end result as I follow the flow chart. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete